r e s u m e
Academic History and Honors
- Duke University. A.B. May 2008. Major: history, minor: political science, certificate: information science and studies.
- Member Phi Alpha Theta (national history honor society).
- Selected as a John M. and Sally V. Blalock Beard Scholar at Duke University.
- Selected as a James E. Webb Fellow at the Smithsonian Institution (summer 2006).
Digital Media/Online Experience
- Writer/Producer for user participation at CNN.com and iReport.com (2011-present). See my portfolio for more info on that.
- Associate Producer for user participation at CNN.com and iReport.com (2008-2011). See my portfolio for more info on that.
- Web Producer and Blogger for NPR's Next Generation Radio project at WUNC. Designed and built website to showcase the students' work, created slideshow and video features, and blogged the entire project (summer 2008).
- Online Design Editor of The Chronicle, Duke's daily student newspaper (2007-2008); Deputy Online Editor (2006-2007). Led various feature and blog developments, Duke lacrosse scandal feature development, site redesigns, daily site maintenance. Received CollegePublisher Award of Excellence for Best Online News Coverage (2007), Associated Collegiate Press Award for Best Online Package -- Honorable Mention (2007).
- Intern for the New Media Program at the National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution (summer 2006). Assisted with maintenance and content development for the Museum's website. Also helped lead development of the new music section of the website.
- Designer/maintainer of websites for several student organizations at Duke (2005-present).
- Intern at National Public Radio for All Songs Considered, NPR's online music show (summer 2005). Assisted with content development for the show and site maintenance. Worked as reporter and musical director for Intern Edition (NPR's intern-created radio show).
Other Work and Volunteer Experience
- News Intern at North Carolina Public Radio WUNC (summer 2007). Reported and produced daily news stories.
- Admissions Intern at Duke Office of Undergraduate Admissions (summer 2007). Led campus tours and information sessions for prospective students and their families, trained student tour guides. Also serve as admissions tour guide and panelist (2005-present); Head Tour Guide (2006-present).
- Associate Producer and Sponsorship Chair for Duke University's Movie-Making Marathon (2006-present). Led development efforts as the founding Sponsorship Chair of the MMM, a 24-hour student filmmaking festival. Planned events for 250+ students and managed a budget of over $11,000.
- Duke University Music Department Concert Manager (2004-present). Tasks include set-up for music department concerts and events, managing concert attendees and ushers, and assisting performers.
- Violinist of 15 years. Currently playing professionally with the Candlelight String Quartet and occasionally performing with the Georgia Philharmonic. Prior performance experience with multiple ensembles (including the Duke Symphony, NC All-State Honors Orchestra, chamber groups) and concert/arts management experience with the Duke Music Department. Leadership experience as principal second violin of Duke Symphony. Experience covering the independent music scene with NPR's All Songs Considered and served as musical director of Intern Edition, NPR's entirely intern-created radio show. Helped lead development of music website for National Museum of American History (Smithsonian Institution).
- Dancer of 17 years. Extensive training in ballet, jazz, and modern dance; some tap and ballroom dance experience. Multiple soloist roles in classical ballet productions. Currently performing with and training at Dance 101 in Atlanta.
- Computers/Internet: proficient at HTML, CSS, and website design; basic Java and Flash; Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Pagemaker; Dreamweaver, Homesite; FTP applications; Dalet/ProTools/Adobe Audition (audio editing); Avid and Final Cut Pro (video editing); Microsoft Office; experience with various content management systems; experience with various types of blogging software; comfortable in both Mac OS and Windows.
- Writing: strong writing skills with particular emphasis on journalism (radio, web, print) and writing for the web (blogs, websites, etc.)
- Public speaking: several years' experience giving information sessions and tours to prospective Duke students and their families and other campus visitors; group sizes range from 10 to 200+ people
- Foreign language: limited proficiency in Spanish